Gerrard wants Wolves role


Steven Gerrard is targeting a return to Premier League action against Wolves this weekend after returning to action in the Carling Cup.

The Liverpool skipper played out the final 15 minutes of Liverpool's 2-1 win at Brighton on Wednesday night, his first appearance in six months following a groin injury.

Gerrard is remaining level-headed as Kenny Dalglish prepares to ease him back into regular first-team football, with the 31-year-old hoping to make the bench for the visit of Mick McCarthy's Wolves to Anfield this weekend.

"It's nice to come through the first test and now I'll train tomorrow and hopefully I'll be selected in the first 18 against Wolves and get some game time," Gerrard told Sky Sports.

"If we were two or three up at half-time, I might have got a few more minutes but it wasn't about me, it was about progressing to the next round of the cup and getting that Tottenham performance out of our systems.

"I think we've done that tonight."