Simoncelli aiming to finish season in style



Following his second place behind 2011 MotoGP World Champion Casey Stoner at Phillip Island, Marco Simoncelli cannot wait to tackle the remaining two rounds of the season.
The Team San Carlo Honda Gresini rider has travelled from Australia to Malaysia in high spirits, with the podium again in his thoughts, at Sepang, a circuit which he impressed at during pre-season testing last winter. “Super Sic” knows that the sky is the limit now and he is refusing to rule out the possibility of a first ever MotoGP win before the season is out, after recording his best result in his MotoGP career last time out.

Hiroshi Aoyama endured more bad luck in Australia but he is determined to sign off from MotoGP in style in the remaining two races. At Phillip Island he was unable to back up his impressive free practice pace in qualifying or in the race due to a pair of unfortunate crashes. However, having won at Sepang twice before in the 250cc class and following on from an impressive first MotoGP appearance there last year, he is optimistic of turning his fortunes around.

Marco Simoncelli, San Carlo Honda Gresini Team
“I left Phillip Island, a circuit and place I really love, feeling very happy. I had another good race and finished second after another wonderful battle with Dovizioso, which gave me a lot of satisfaction. I had been second for the whole race so to see Andrea standing on the second step of the podium would have been hard to take. I celebrated it with my team, but I already had my mind on Malaysia. I never managed to win at Sepang in the 250cc category but I was on the podium there for my last two seasons in the intermediate class and in testing there last winter, I was really on the pace. I am sure I can do a good job this weekend. There is no reason why we can't be fighting for the podium, the top step would be even better of course, and that’s what we will be striving for in the Malaysian Grand Prix.”

Hiroshi Aoyama, San Carlo Honda Gresini Team
“The weekend in Australia didn't start too badly and after the first couple of sessions, I was looking forward to a positive race at a track where the atmosphere is always really special. Unfortunately, the weather turned and it caused me a few problems, including a heavy crash on Saturday which ended my session early and then again on Sunday, when I was caught out by the rain. It was a shame because I had promised myself I would make the most of my last few races in MotoGP and the first of the three ended in disaster. Anyway, we now go to Sepang, where I won twice in 250 and finished seventh in MotoGP last year. I like the track and I always get a good feeling there from the place and from the people.”


motogp.com